The second monitor is not appearing in the display settings of Windows 10. Here’s how to resolve the issue by adapting your system configuration and some troubleshooting steps, so you can enjoy an all-new experience with more screen space for productivity.
The “second monitor not detected windows 10 hdmi” is a problem that many people face. The solution to the problem is relatively simple, and it can be done in just a few minutes.
He spent much of his time building new talents and learning more about the IT industry, since he was passionate about technology, Windows, and anything that had a power button. Coming from a strong foundation in computer science,… Read more
- Multitasking is easier with a two monitor configuration, however one of our readers claimed that the second monitor was not recognized.
- An outdated graphics card driver might be the cause of Windows 11 failing to identify the second monitor.
- Your machine’s failure to identify the second monitor might potentially be due to the HDMI cable or port.
BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE, YOU CAN INSTALL XINSTALL.
We propose Restoro PC Repair Tool to address a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer faults, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To correct problems that are hurting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Many of our readers have expressed their dissatisfaction with Windows 11’s failure to identify the second monitor in a two monitor configuration.
A second monitor will boost your productivity significantly, particularly if your job demands you to run many applications at the same time.
Similar concerns have been reported by Windows 10 users while utilizing two monitors, and as you would expect, the remedies are fairly similar.
There are a number of reasons why the OS fails to recognize the second monitor, and we’ve developed a list of all the possible causes.
Why isn’t my second monitor working?
As you may be aware, you must attach a second monitor to your computer through the HDMI or VGA ports.
However, any fault with the ports or connections might be the cause of your second monitor’s failure to register.
Your second monitor is not being detected by Windows 11.
The error notice in the Settings app, on the other hand, does not provide much specifics and simply says We were unable to locate another display.
As a result, verify and validate that your PC’s physical ports are operational and that the cable you’re using is in excellent working order as a first step.
Aside from that, if you haven’t updated your display driver in a while, you may be experiencing problems. Compatibility issues might be caused by an outdated graphics card driver. It’s possible that your secondary display won’t be noticed as a result of this.
Whatever the cause of the problem, we’ve compiled a list of simple remedies for the Windows 11 not recognizing second monitor issue.
If you’re using Windows 10 and the operating system isn’t identifying your second monitor, see our article on how to solve Windows 10 not detecting the second monitor.
How do I get Windows 11 to recognize a second monitor?
1. Restart your computer.
- From the taskbar’s left side, open the Start menu.
- Then, on the right, click the Power symbol.
- To restart your computer, choose Restart from the list of alternatives.
If the second display does not detect, the simplest remedy is to restart your computer. It might be a transient issue that can be resolved with a simple restart of Windows. The resolution has also worked on Windows 10 computers.
If you’re utilizing a laptop with an external display for a better viewing experience, many people claim that merely shutting the lid will do the trick.
A conflicting software running in the background is often the cause of the issue. However, if you restart the computer, the running software will be closed, and you will be able to resolve the problem.
2. Install the latest display driver
- To launch the Run dialog box, press Windows + R.
- In the search area, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- On the Device Manager window, locate and expand the Display Adapters tab.
- Select Update driver from the list of choices when you right-click on your graphics card.
- As soon as the Update driver box appears, choose the option to search for drivers automatically.
- Wait until Windows has finished looking for the most recent driver.
- Finally, to upgrade your display driver to the most recent version, follow the easy on-screen instructions.
An out-of-date display driver might create conflicts between your computer’s software and hardware.
If you haven’t updated the display driver in a while, the procedures above will update it and resolve the problem. To keep your display driver updated automatically, you may use driver update software solutions like DriverFix.
3. Alter the frequency of the display
- To launch Settings on your PC, use the Windows key + I.
- Then, under System settings, choose the Display tab.
- Scroll down and choose Advanced display from the drop-down menu.
- Then choose the display for which you wish to adjust the frequency from the Select a display to see or edit its settings menu.
- Finally, pick a refresh rate that is supported by both screens from the Choose a refresh rate option.
Having a second monitor with a different refresh rate might create a momentary software conflict on your system.
This may eventually result in Windows failing to identify the monitor. You may, however, fix the problem by altering the display frequency settings.
4. Revert the graphics card driver to a previous version.
- To begin, go to the toolbar’s Search button and search Device Manager.
- Now, from the search result, open Device Manager.
- Then, in the Device Manager window, find and expand the Display adapters tab from the list.
- Right-click your graphics card driver and choose Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Roll Back Driver option from the Driver tab in the Properties box.
- Select the choice on the warning pop-up. The previous version of the driver was more efficient.
- Finally, choose Yes from the drop-down menu.
Updated driver versions sometimes include problems. In such scenario, reverting to the prior version will fix the issue.
What’s the best way to get Windows to detect my monitor?
If your Windows operating system does not recognize the second monitor automatically, you may force it to do so. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- To launch the Windows Start Menu, click the Windows logo on the toolbar.
- From there, go to Settings and then System.
- Then, scroll down and expand the Multiple displays tab under Scale & layout section.
- Finally, directly after the option Detect other display, click the Detect button.
Your second monitor will be identified by your computer if you complete the procedures correctly and connect it to the power source and the computer.
Because the operating system may not always recognize the second monitor, manually identifying it is always an option.
Customizing your second monitor increases your computer’s usefulness. The second display may be used to run games or any other program.
What options do I have for customizing my second monitor?
Windows provides four ways for utilizing a second monitor with your PC. You may choose one and begin working with it based on your requirements.
Here’s a quick rundown on how to modify your second monitor to meet your specific needs.
Windows 11 will mirror your main display on the second monitor as soon as you attach it to your computer. Follow the procedures below if you need to adjust the usability.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key + P.
- Then, from the list of alternatives below, choose the one that best meets your needs.
- You will only be able to view items on a single display if you use a PC screen.
- Extend mode allows you to see your desktop over several screens, allowing you to utilize two monitors for separate tasks.
- By default, the Duplicate option is selected, which replicates the main display on the secondary one.
- You can view everything on the second screen only if you use the Second Screen Only function.
There are many dual monitor software solutions that may help you get the most out of your dual monitor setup. You can configure a lot more with third-party dual monitor systems than you can with Windows.
I hope you found the workarounds useful. Please let us know which option worked best for you in the comments area below.
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “windows 11 external monitor” is a common problem that many Windows users have. The issue can be fixed by following these steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why wont Windows 11 detect my second monitor?
A: Windows has a feature that allows you to make the second monitor your primary display. This is called duplicate this display and it can be found under Display Properties in Control Panel.
How do I add a second monitor in Windows 11?
A: You can use a second display device to extend your single monitor or create multiple monitors. For example, you could buy an external HDMI video card and connect it via DVI-D or VGA cable to your computers graphics card port.
How do I fix my computer not detecting my second monitor?
A: If your computer is not detecting a secondary monitor, its most likely due to the fact that you are using an old version of Windows.
Microsoft has stopped supporting many older operating systems and as such make their software designed for newer operating systems incompatible with these older versions. To fix this issue in order for your second monitor to work properly you will need either upgrade or replace the hardware on your computer.
- second monitor displaying but not detected
- windows 11 not detecting monitor
- windows 11 not detecting second monitor reddit
- windows 11 hdmi not working
- second monitor not working after restart